The Palace (Reggia).
Is 30 km. north of Naples, in a fertile plain. Caserta was chosen by
Charles III of Bourbon as the ideal secure site for the construction
of his “Versailles” of the Kingdom of Naples.
royal palace, around which the town later developed, was begun in
1752 and completed in 1774. The enormous stone building has 1200
rooms, arranged around 4 courtyards. The royal apartments are open
to the public, and the gardens to the rear, with their beautiful
fountains, are well worth a visit.
can be visited from Rome while traveling south, or as a one-day
excursion from the Naples area.