WWW.KOSHERDELIGHT.COM - GLOBAL JEWISH DIRECTORY WITH NEWS AND INFORMATION, TRAVEL, EDUCATION, PARENTING, HOLIDAYS AND MORE   כושר דילייט - מגאזין יהודי באינטרנט הכולל חדשות ומידע יהודי גלובלי. המגאזין כולל: בתי חב"ד, בתי ספר יהודיים, אוכל כשר ומסעדות כשרות, מקוואות, חינוך ועוד

   

Kosher Restaurants

Kosher Hotels

Synagogues

Kosher recipes

Mikvah

Jewish Holidays

KOSHER RESTAURANTS

KOSHER HOTELS

SYNAGOGUES

KOSHER RECIPES

MIKVAOT

JEWISH HOLIDAYS

Today's Hebrew Date                           ב"ה   
KOSHER DELIGHT - YOUR JEWISH ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Bullet Home
Bullet
SITE INDEX
BulletJEWISHKD.COM
Bullet
DONATE 

BulletInsurance

KOSHER
BulletKosher restaurants
   Around the World!
BulletKosher Hotels
Bullet
Kosher Recipes 

BulletVegetarian Restaurants
Bullet
Updates from the
   Chief Rabbinate of
   Israel

BulletKosher Alcohol Updates
Bullet
Kashrut Authorities
BulletKosher Products Lists

Bullet
Kashrut Comments

BET DIN OUTSIDE ISRAEL
BulletInternational Directory of Rabbinical Courts

SHABBAT
BulletCandle Lighting Times
   for Shabbat & Holidays


NEWS
Bullet
News & Media


JEWISH STUFF...
BulletJudaism, Spiritualism,
   Opinions and more

Bullet
Jewish Communities
   Around the World

Bullet
Parashat
   HaShavuah
   
Bullet
Jewish Holidays
Bullet
Synagogues
Bullet
Mikvaot
Bullet
Chabad Houses
Bullet
Aish HaTorah
Bullet
Young Israel  
Bullet
NCSY
Bullet
B'nai Akiva
Bullet
Hillel
BulletThe Holocaust


PARENTING
BulletParenting
BulletJewish Camps
BulletKids
Bullet
Babies


HEALTH
Bullet
Jewish Hospitals
Bullet
Your Health
Bullet
Do not Abuse
    Drugs and Alcohol


FRIENDS ON 4
BulletOur Pets
BulletThe Dog Trainer: Q & A
BulletThe Veterinarian Corner
Bullet הטסת כלבים
Bullet כלבים: עכשיו הדיאטה
Bulletהיצלנו את לוקה


BulletInsurance New!
BulletQuestions & Answers
Bullet
Links


BulletCONTACT US!  


 
 
 

FLAG OF ITALY

   
 
 
 

ITALY 

 
  JEWISH AND KOSHER ITALY: PADUA SYNAGOGUE

PADUA SYNAGOGUE, VENETO, ITALY

The Padua Synagogue. Built in 1584

The Padua Synagogue
Via San Martino e Solferino 13
Padua, Veneto, Italy
Tel: 049-875-1106
Email: cebra.pd@tin.it
Rabbi: Aharon Locci
Nusach: Italian
Contact: Raffaele D'Angeli
Tel: 049-871-4999
Last updated on: September 19, 2010
Please update us!
PADUA SYNAGOGUE, VENETO, ITALY

--

פדובה - כללי Padua - Klali
 
 
עיר בצפון איטליה, נמצאת בחבל ונטו. שוכנת על נהר באקליונה. פדובה היא מרכז מסחרי ותעשייתי חשוב ובה מפעלים לייצור מכונות, כימיכלים ומוצרי טכסטיל. היא מפורסמת באתריה ובנייניה ההסטוריים ומושכת תיירים רבים. אוניברסיטת פדואה נוסדה בשנת 1222 והיא מהעתיקות באיטליה

 
שרידי יישוב מהתקופה הנאוליתית ומתקופת הברונזה נתגלו בסביבות פדובה. את העיר יסדו כנראה הונטים. היא היתה בעלת ברית משגשגת של הרומאים. ב 49 לפסה"נ קיבלה את אזרחות רומא, נקראה: מוניסיפום פאטאויום, והתפרסמה כעיר מולדתו של טיטוס ליויוס. עם פלישת הברברים ירדה מגדולתה. בתקופת האוטונים החלה שוב להתפתח, ב 1176 השתתפה בליגה הלומברדית נגד פרידריך ברברוסה והיתה למעצמה כלכלית ופוליטית. במאות 13 - 14 שלטה על הערים השכנות וינצ'נצ'ה, בסנו ופלטרה ותכופות התנגשה עם וונציה וורונה ועם משפחת אסטה. ב 1237 השתלט עליה אזלינו, ב 1318 - 1406 שלטו בה בני משפחת קרארה וב 1406 - 1797 היתה בידי ונציה. בשלטון ונציה פרחה פדובה. פעלו בה הציירים דונטלו ומנטניה ואוניברסיטת פדואה היתה מרכז להומניזם. בשנים  1815 - 1866  היתה בשלטון אוסטריה ואח"כ סופחה לאיטליה

 

עברה המפואר של פדואה באמנות משתקף בבנייניה, ביצירות האמנות הרבות המעטרות אותה ובאוסף הציורים שבמוזיאון המקומי. מהתקופה הרומית שרדו מספר יצירות פיסול ואדריכלות, אך מירב ומיטב היצירות המצויות בה הן מיה"ב המאוחרים ואילך. בארמון שבלב העיר, פאלאציו דה לה ראג'יוני, שבנייתו התחילה ב 1218 והושלמו ב 1306, פרסקים מן המאה ה 14. פרסקים של ג'וטו מעטרים את קאפלת סקרובניי. בקאפלה אובטארי שבכנסיית ארמיטאני שירידים מציורי הפרסקו של מנטניה ובני דורו. שפע של אוצרות אמנות, ציורים ופסלים, ממלאים את הכנסיה הראשית של העיר, כנסיית אנטוניו הקדוש שבנייתה התחילה ב 1232 והושלמה במאה ה14, פסלי המזבח הראשי של דונטלו, פסלי הקבורה של אנטוניו הקדוש, הפרסקים של אלטיקירו. לפני בניין הכנסייה מוצס פסל הפרש של הקונדוטירה גאטאמלאטה, יצירת המופת של דונאטלו. השפעתה של אסכולת הציור שנתגבשה בפדואה במאה ה 15 ניכרה בצפון איטליה ואף בגרמניה

 

פדובה ויהודים Padua Veyehudim
 

בנקאים יהודיים הגיעו לפדואה במחצית השנייה של המאה ה 14. בחסות בית קרארה גדלה הקהילה ונודעה בעושרה. אולם, משבאה פדובה תחת שלטון ונציה, איימה על היהודים גזרת גירוש. ב 1456 גורשו הבנקאים היהודים מן העיר בהשפעת המטיף קפיסטרנו וחסידיואך יתר בני הקהילה נשארו. ב 1483 שוב התירו ליהודים לעסוק בהלוואות. בעקבות עלילת הדם בטרנטו, 1475, התפשטו הפרעות גם לפדובה ונישנו שוב ב 1491 בהשפעת ההסתה של המטיף ברנרדינו דה פלטרה. ב 1492 הגיעו לפדואה ממגורשי ספרד. הקהילה התחזקה והיו בה שלוש עדות, איטלקית, גרמנית וספרדית. ב 1547 סגרו השלטונות את הבנקים היהודים כדי למנוע התחרות בבנק הנוצרי מונטה די פייטה. היהודיפ פנו בהצלחה למסחר ביהלומים, בבגדים ובאריגים

 

יהודי פדובה ידעו קשיים רבים, ביניהם: גטו יהודי הוקם ב 1601 ליד ביהכ"נ. עד 1715 נאלצו היהודים להקשיב להטפות נגדם בכנסיות. ב 1556 נשרפו ליד בניין המועצה ספרי תלמוד וספרים עבריים אחרים. בכל זאת נשארה פדואה מרכז חשוב ללימודי היהדות בגלל הישיבות הגדולות והאישים שעמדו בראשן, כמו מינץ, קצנלבוגן, וכן מפני שיהודים נמשכו מכל קצווי אירופה ללמוד רפואה באוניברסיטה המקומית. ב 1630 - 1631 מתו ממגיפה 421 מתוך 721 יהודי פדובה. באותה עת התפרנסות רוב יהודי פדובה מתעשיית המשי. ב 1684, משנפוצה השמועה שהיהודים סייעו לתורכים בבודה נגד צבאות אוסטריה וונציה, שדד ההמון את הגטו. ב 1797 העניק השלטון הצרפתי אמנציפציה ליהודים ושערי הגטו נפרצו, אך השלטון האוסטרי קיצץ בזכויותיהם. אמציפציה מלאה קיבלו ב 1866 עם הסיפוח לאיטליה. ב 1829 הוקם הסמינר לרבנים הראשון באירופה בו למדו לימודי קודש וחול, ושוב הורה ש.ד.לוצאטו. ב 1870 הועבר הסמינר לרומא. ב 1881 ישבו בפדובה 1378 יהודים, אולם חלה ירידה בחיי החברה והתרבות בקהילה. ב 1911 ירד מספרם ל 881 וב 1938 ל 586. יהודי פדובה היגרו למרכזים אחרים, וגם לארץ ישראל. מאישיה הבולטים של פדובה: מאיר בן יחזקאל אבן גבאי, אליהו דלמדיגו, מ.ח. לוצאטו. בשנים 1943 - 1945 נשלחו כ 85 איש למחנות השמדה. מכל בתי הכנסת העתיקים והמפוארים של פדואה פתוח כיום רק בית הכנסת האיטלקי שנבנה ב 1548

 
מקור: אנציקלופדיה עברית, כרך כ"ז, עמודים  312 - 313 

 

--

ABOUT JEWISH PADUA:

The first record of a Jewish presence in Padua dates back to the beginning of the 11th century. However it was only with a substantial immigration from Pisa, Rome, Bologna and the March of Ancona in the second half of the 14th century that a great increase in the number of Jewish people in Padua was registered.

Immigrants from Germany, Spain and the Levant arrived later.
The newcomers were not only moneylenders but also students at the city's rabbinical Academy and the University faculty of Medicine (Padua being the only university in Europe to accept Jewish students).

Most of the Jewish community at the time were, however, involved in commerce, moneylending, strazzaria (the cloth trade) or dealing in precious metals and gems.
From the city itself, the banking business spread to Piove di Sacco, Este and Montagnana.

During the period of the Communes (XI-XIV c.) and the rule of the da Carrara family (1337-1405), the Jewish community in Padua enjoyed a time of relative calm. Most of the community settled in the Borgo Savonarola district and the area round Ponte del Molino.

As trade increased, the Jews moved to Ponte Altinate, Santa Giuliana and Piazza della Legna (on the site now occupied by the Caffט Pedrocchi). The community's first official synagogue was situated in Piazza della Legna.

At the beginning of the 15th century there were Jewish banks throughout the city. However with the Venetian conquest of the mainland in 1405 things changed for the Jewish community: they lost all rights of citizenship, could no longer own land and were even obliged to sell the houses and land they already possessed.

Nevertheless, the economic power of the Jewish bank increased over the course of the century. Until Monti di Pietא were founded, moneylenders had been indispensable.

Towards the end of the 15th century the community benefited from the arrival of a number of Ashkenazi refugees, including a sizeable number of erudite rabbis. It was largely thanks to them that, within a very short space of time, Padua became one of the centres of Jewish culture in northern Italy.

By the time of the creation of the first Monte di Pietא in 1492, however, the community's position began to worsen in more than just economic terms. A blead period of looting began.

The first large German-rite synagogue was opened in 1525 in via delle Piazze and remained in service until 1682. In 1548 the Italian-rite synagogue opened in Via Urbana (now via S. Martino e Solferino), while in 1617, some fourteen years aftere the ghetto had been officially established, a Spanish-rite synagogue was opened in the same street.

In 1603 the Jewish community was confined within a ghetto formed by Via Fabbri, Via Urbana, Via Sirena and Via dell'Arco. The ghetto had four gateways controlled by two gatekeepers -one Jewish, one Christian. Consisting of oppressive, narrow streets and grim towers, the district was squalid and caused a rapid spread of the plague in 163.

In the centuries to come the gold trade and related business activities and the commerce of woven fabrics would supplement the commerce in cloth. There was a veritable Guild of Jewish Cloth Merchants, with its own syndics, bailiffs and stewards. Moreover, it was the Jews who first introduced silk production to Padua and the surrounding area.

In spite of the Jewish community's contribution to the economic life of the city, relations with the Christian citizens of Padua were not always easy, and competition between guilds could degenerate into hostility and intimidation.

Padua University, too, was not always consistent in its treatment of Jews. With the arrival of the French in 1797, here as elsewhere the ghetto gates were ritually removed. From the unification of Italy onwards, the Padua community gradually dwindle. In 1829 the city became the seat of the Rabbinical Seminary (later the Rabbinical College).

When the race laws were passed in 1938 the community numbers dropped even further: some people managed to move to Israel, while other were captured and deported.

The Jewish quarter near Piazza delle Erbe has maintained its original appearance almost intact. From Via Roma visitors might begin their visit by turning into via San Martino e Solferino. This street used to be one of the four gateways that closed off the ghetto. The first turning on the right leads into Via delle Piazze and the central area of the district.

In the first block on the left there used to be two synagogues. In 1927 a fire caused substantial damage to the structure, which was totally gutted by a fascist firebomb in 1943. Today the building has been restaured and hosts exhibitions and conferences.

The Italian-rite synagogue is at n. 9 of Via S. Martino and Solferino. It was first erected in 1548. Alterations were made in 1581, 1631, 1830 and 1865. Closed in 1892, it was only reopened after the Second World War when a fire had made the main synagogue unfit for use. This is one of the few temples in Italy with the aron and bimah placed opposite each other midway down the long side of the hall, in such a way that they divide the space into two.

There are pews all around the wood-panelled walls. From the coffered ceiling hang the numerous bronze lamps that light the temple.

Set between the four Corinthian columns of veined black marble, the most significant fixture is the large 17th century aron, carved from the wood of a plane-tree from the Padua Botanical Garden.
At the corner with via Marsala you can still see the examples of the typical 'towers' that served as housing in the Jewish quarter. The Jewish cemeteries in the city make a separate itinerary: there are seven in all, and some can be visited by arrangement with the community offices.

The first cemetery is at San Leonardo and dates from before 1348. Among the tombs is that of the famous rabbi Meir Katzenellenbogen (1482-1565) with its carving of a cat (Katze in German).

Other cemeteries are in Via Codalunga, at Santa Maria Mater Domini, in Via Zodio and Via del Campagnola. The present-day cemetery is in Via Sorio and was established in 1862.

 

 
   

Custom Search
 
KOSHER DELIGHT - YOUR JEWISH ONLINE MAGAZINE! כושר דילייט - מגזין החדשות והמידע מהעולם היהודי ומישראל, כולל מסעדות כשרות, בתי כנסת ועוד ועוד
Visit Hotel King David Prague, A 5*, Kosher LeMehadrin Hotel
PRAGUE KOSHER HOTEL ***** KING DAVID
www.hotelkingdavid.cz/

Zikit Translation Services

ZIKIT TRANSLATION SERVICES , שירותי תירגום, שרותי תירגום, שירות תרגומים, שירות תירגומים, שרות תרגום, תירגום, תרגום, תירגום מסמכים, תירגום תעודות, תרגום טכני, תירגום טכני, תרגום, תרגומים מעברית לאנגלית, תרגומים מאנגלית לעברית, תרגום עברי אנגלית אנגלי עברי -  זיקית שירותי תרגום

www.zikit.org


THE HOLOCAUST - THE SHOAH
THE JEWISH HOLOCAUST
THE HOLOCAUST - THE SHOAH
THE HOLOCAUST - THE SHOAH

Advertise with Us!

KD Kosher Recipe Collection
Send us your 
Kosher Recipe!


COMPREHENSIVE WORLDWIDE JEWISH SEARCH: JEWISHKD.COM Comprehensive Worldwide Jewish Search