KOSHER DELIGHT - YOUR JEWISH ONLINE MAGAZINE!
JEWISH AND KOSHER TUSCANY, ITALY:
|Picture Source: http://www.cultura.toscana.it/progetti/giardini/immagini/pistoia.jpg
Province code: PT
Zip code: 51100
Phone area code: 0573
Distance from: FIRENZE 34 Km / 21 Miles
Elevation: 65 mt / 214 feet
Address: P.zza del Duomo
in the middle of the Tuscan province of the same name, is 67 meters
above sea level. It is located on a wide plain on the Ombrone River
and lies between Monte Albano and the slopes of the Appenines. The
city, rich in monuments and medieval architecture, is a vivacious
cultural center. It houses the Academy of Organ Music. Its economic
development is tied, above all, to plant and flower cultivation, to
nearby thermal establishments, and to industry in general.
as an oppidium in Roman times (2nd century B.C.), Pistoia had great
strategic and political importance under the Lungobards (6th to 9th
centuries). It was a free commune from 1117 on, enjoying great urban
expansion. In the 12th century it was surrounded by walls.
Internecine battles among various factions (13th to 14th centuries)
weakened the city, however, and it fell due to conflicts between the
neighboring towns of Lucca and Florence. After long dependence on
the Medici (15th to 18th centuries), in 1737 Pistoia was placed
under the control of the Lorena, who carried out a series of
reforms. In 1860 the city was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy.
Piazza del Duomo
constitutes an interesting artistic complex, where all the major
civil and religious buildings are gathered. It is characterized by a
faחade with white and green bands. The
Duomo of S. Zeno,
which originated in the 5th century, was rebuilt in Pisan Romanesque
style (12th to 13th century). The
with three rows of loggia, is in Pisan Romanesque style. The doorway
from the 1300s is enriched with a magnificent panelled ceiling in
glazed terracotta by Andrea della Robbia (16th century). The
67 meters high, is the work of Giovanni Pisano. The three-naved
interior contains masterpieces by Coppo di Marcovaldo, Lorenzo di
Credi, and Verrocchio. Outstanding are the silver Altarpiece of S.
Iacopo, an excellent piece of crafting from the 13 to 15th
centuries, and the Reliquary of S. Iacopo, made by Lorenzo Ghiberti
in the 15th century. These were destinations for pilgrimage during
the Middle Ages. In front of the Duomo is the beautiful Baptistery,
on an octagonal plan. It was made by Cellino di Nese according to
the plans of Andrea Pisano. The interior, transformed in the 1700s,
presents an elegant baptismal font from the 13th century. The
recently-restored Palace of the Bishops (1300s) today houses
religious ornaments and artworks from the Capitolare Museum (the
Sacrestia dei begli arredi or sacristy of beautiful religious
ornaments, recalled by Dante because of its theft by Vanni Fuci).
Closed Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Beside the Duomo
rises the beautiful Communal Palace in pietra serena (literally,
serene stone,), from the 14th century, embellished by a fine doorway
and decorated with crests. The Communal Palace houses the Civic
Museum, where more than two hundred pieces of Tuscan origin are on
display: sacred paintings from the 13th to 15th centuries,
altarpieces from the 1500s and canvases from the 1600s and 1700s.
Closed Mondays. The Palace of the Podestא (14th century),
where in the past justice was administered, has an atrium containing
a doorway that is decorated by frescoes and crests.
Not far from the Piazza del Duomo, one finds the Ospedale
so-called for the tree trunk (ceppo) in which alms were placed. It
was built in the 1200s. A splendid polychrome frieze by della Robbia,
representing the Works of Misercordia, decorates the doorway
established in the Rospigliosi Palace (1500s), preserves
furnishings, ceiling and frescoes from the 1600s. There is a notable
collection of objects and sacred furnishings from the Pistoian
Diocese. Closed Mondays and holidays.
beautiful unfinished Romanesque faחade of the Church of S.
is distinguished for its bi-chrome arches and for the bas reliefs
over its doorways. The three-naved interior preserves two
masterpieces by Giovanni Pisano (14th century): the hexagonal Pulpit
with beautiful reliefs on Biblical themes and the painted wooden
huge Church of S. Giovanni Fuorcivitas,
built in the 12th century outside the walls, presents the
characteristic covering in white and green bands. The faחade
has remained unfinished. A splendid Romanesque doorway opens onto
one of its two sides, which is decorated with blind arches,
galleries and embossing. Within one finds works by Giovanni Pisano,
frא Guglielmo da Pisa, Taddeo Gaddi and Andrea della Robbia.
Basilica of the Madonna of Humility
begun in 1495 according to the plans of Giuliano da Sangallo, was
finished by Antonio da Sangallo and Antonio del Pollaiolo. From the
magnificent frescoed vestibule, one reaches the wide octagonal hall
that culminates in the grand Vasarian cupola, or dome.
The charming street called Via
dominated by the Tower of the Captain of the Populace. Enlivened by
ancient shops, via Stracceria leads to the market Piazza del Mercato
della Sala, the center of the ancient city, where Lungobard justice
was administered. The piazza is made even more beautiful by the
medieval Pozzo del Leoncino (well of the lion cub).
Piazza Duomo, tel. 0573-371296
Via Ripa del Sale, tel: 0573-28740
Piazza Duomo, tel: 0573-369272
Highway A11 from Florence and from Pisa-Lucca
Highway A1 from Rome and Bologna
State Road SS12 from Abetone
Connections follow the routes of the major roads: connections with
Florence, Lucca, Prato, and Bologna.
The nearest airport, well connected to the local railway line, is
the international airport A. Vespucci of Florence (tel. 055-30615).
best way to visit the little historical center is by foot. In the
summer season, in Piazza Duomo, there is a bicycle rental service.
The main parking areas are downtown: Piazza San Francesco to the
west, Piazza S. Lorenzo to the north, Piazza S. Paolo and Piazza
Leonardo da Vinci to the south
APT, information and tourist reception
Piazza Duomo, 4, tel. 0573-21622
Carabinieri (police): 112
Fire Department: 115
Road Assistance: 116
Doctor on Call: 118
Urban Police: 0573-22022
State Railway: 0573-31192/ 20789; Railway Information: 147-888088
pastry shops maintain the tradition of Pistoias hand-made confetti,
and of the famous Brigidini from Lamporecchio, sweet wafers flavored
with anise. Worth visiting is the historic Caffי Faliani,
established in the ex-oratory of S. Antonio Abate, which contains
splendid ceilings and precious frescoes. Some shops downtown display
precious handmade embroideries made according to local tradition.
Corso Gramsci, tel: 0573-991609
Blues: Concerts with artists of international fame, during the month
Giostro dellOrso ( the game of the bear): horseback tournament
originating the 1300s, preceded by a historical procession; the 25th
Pistoia on the NET:
KOSHER DELIGHT - YOUR JEWISH ONLINE MAGAZINE! כושר דילייט - מגזין
החדשות והמידע מהעולם היהודי ומישראל, כולל מסעדות כשרות, בתי כנסת ועוד ועוד