Kew Gardens is a triangular-shaped
neighborhood in central
Queens bounded to the north by the
Jackie Robinson Parkway (formerly
Interborough Parkway), to the east by Van Wyck Expressway
and 131st Street, to the south by
Hillside Avenue, and to the west by Park Lane, Abingdon Road
and 118th Street.
Forest Park and the neighborhood of Forest Hills and Forest
Hills Gardens lie west of the neighborhood. The neighborhood is
accessible thanks to its surrounding expressways and the
Union Turnpike-Kew Gardens subway station. The commute on
F train to
Midtown Manhattan is about thirty minutes.
Kew Gardens was one of seven planned garden
communities built in
Queens from the late 19th Century to 1950.
Much of the area was acquired in 1868 by
Englishman Albon P. Man, who developed the neighborhood of
Hollis Hill to the south, chiefly along
Jamaica Avenue, while leaving the hilly land to the north