It has been settled since the early 19th century, first as a farming village. Later, the Delaware and Hudson Canal made it a key stop. Spring Glen is its third name. Originally established as Red Bank, it became Homowack (Iroquois for "where the stream begins" in 1851. Later in the century, the residents changed the name again, this time to Spring Glen, to attract more tourist business.
That brought Jews to the region, and in 1917 they built Spring Glen Synagogue, the first Jewish place of worship in the Catskill region. Today the community remains a small concentration of vacation bungalows, most of which are occupied only during the summer months.