SYNAGOGUES IN FORBACH,
Moselle / Lorraine)
Moselle dist. The Jewish community was founded in the 18th century by
Jews from surrounding villages.
In 1778, there were eight Jewish families in Forbach.
The synagogue, inaugurated in 1836, was renovated in 1867 and 1929th
In 1885, the community consisted of 813 members, dwindling to 591 in
1926 to the remaining about the Samue in 1931.
In Colonization II, the Germans expelled all the Jews of Forbach,
together with the rest of Alsace-Lorraine Jews, to the south of France.
Artillery fire badly damaged the synagogue, it was restored in 1950.
In 1965, Jews there were 300 in Forbach.
As it stands today, the synagogue of Forbach is
one of the oldest monuments of the city.
Built around 1835, it was inaugurated in
underwent major adjustments in 1862-1863 and again in 1929 with the
installation include central heating.
miraculously survived the last war it was used as a warehouse in
It has retained its original facade with the inscription "Thou shalt
love thy neighbor as thyself" and the Tablets of the Law.
Inside, only the large Holy Ark, decorated in the style of the ancient
synagogue in Strasbourg remained intact.
The first traces the history of the Lordship of Forbach report of two
Jewish taxpayers in 1687.
In 1723, four Jewish families are "tolerated" in the lordship.
According to records, it appears that around 1730, the community, added
12 heads of families gathered in the old Jewish quarter of Forbach,
built a small synagogue where divine service was celebrated until about
The present building replaces the old, who could no longer accommodate a
On the eve of the Revolution, it is reported a "Jewish ghetto" where
there are 21 households, or one hundred people.
After 1792, the Jewish population growth is important and forbachoise,
March 6, 1834, there were 314 Jews from a total of 2,958 inhabitants,
slightly over 10% of the population.
Forbach was then the second largest Jewish community after the Moselle
Metz, with about 60 families.
During the period 1939-1945, the community of Forbach paid a heavy price
since 114 people were victims of Nazism.
Their names are engraved on the memorial plaque in the lobby of the
To date, 40 families still reside in Forbach.
Sources derived from "Homecoming" file compiled by Mr. Raymond
Engelbreit, college professor Robert Schuman Behren
ARTICLES OR PART OF THEM WERE TRANSLATED FROM FRENCH TO ENGLISH WITH GOOGLE