1 large onion, chopped
1/2 t. turmeric
1/4 t. cayenne
1/2 c. vegetable stock
1 1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. salt
1 small can tomato paste
3-4 whole cloves
3 medium zucchini
4 small yellow squash or yellow zucchini
3/4 large carrots
4 medium yellow or red potatoes, skins on
1 red or green bell pepper
1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans
1. Sauté onion in vegetable stock over med. low heat until
2. Add all spices and cook for a few more minutes,
stirring as needed.
3. Add tomato paste, stir and simmer 2 minutes.
4. Cut the vegetables in large chunks and add all (not the
beans) and a dash of cinnamon; add water to cover.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for an hour or so. (This
can cook slowly for 2-3 hours, if desired.)
5. Add the drained garbanzos about 5 minutes before you
take the veggies off the heat.
6. Put couscous in a bowl. Pour boiling water over couscous and wait about
5 minutes. Fluff with fork. (Ratio of about 1 1/2:1 of water to couscous.)
For added flavor, add some of the liquid from the veggie stew to the couscous in
place of some of the water.
7. Serve the stew over the couscous. Enjoy!