AND VEGETABLE SOUP - HARIRA (MOROCCAN)
- 1 Cup dried lentils
- 1 cup dried fava or lima beans
- 1 pound stewing meat, cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped and peeled
- 1 bunch celery with leaves, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander or parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp flour
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Lemon slices
- Soak the lentils and fava or lima beans
- In a heavy saucepan, sauté the meat and
chopped onions in oil. When the meat is brown, add the lentils, beans,
tomatoes, celery, coriander or parsley, and salt and pepper. Add the
water and simmer, covered, for about 2 hours.
- When the meat is tender and the beans
soft, adjust the seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Mix the flour into about 2 more tbsp cold
water and stir into the boiling soup. Keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- After 1-2 minutes, turn off the heat and
add the lemon juice. Serve very hot with lemon slices.
The Jewish Holiday Kitchen by Joan Nathan