1. Preheat oven to lowest setting.
2. Peel sweet potatoes with a vegetable peeler or sharp knife (fries may also be made with skins on), then trim ends.
3. Cut each sweet potato into 8–10 thin wedges about 4'' long.
4. Set aside.
5. Heat 2'' olive oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat.
6. When oil is hot (about 325°F), fry sweet potatoes in small batches, turning frequently, for 3 minutes per batch or until golden and crisp.
7. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon or tongs.
8. Drain on paper towels.
9. Place in oven to keep warm in oven while you fry remaining sweet potatoes.
10. Serve hot, sprinkled with salt and, if desired, pepper.
YIELD: 4 servings