SYNAGOGUES IN SARREGUEMINES, FRANCE:
Last updated on: November 20, 2010
Please update us!
About the Synagogue:
May 26, 1957, the foundation stone of the new
was laid by Mayor Joseph Massing, rue George V, before an audience
of political and ecumenical.
More than half a century later, the building celebrates its 50th
anniversary worship, an important event for a community that came
out of a trauma history and unparalleled
was gradually restored to their courage and tenacity.
Inaugurated in 1959, the new
is the third built on the bank of
The first was built in 1769 by the then Community and replaced the
individual places of worship.
Outgrown the building at street frogs (Froschengasse) gave way, a
hundred years later, a new building built in downtown, de la
A true architectural masterpiece, it is distinguished by its
Byzantine style and helped greatly to beautify the city before being
shaved, a victim of the vengeance of National Socialism in 1940.
After the war was marked by a succession of new places to vest until
1959 Jewish celebrations.
Claude Bloch, current president of the Jewish Community of
remembers "the Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) in September 1945
celebrated in the back room of Klein & Bader, pedestrian shopping
Not forgetting the two barracks in the Rue de la Chapelle and Rue
Today, the new
offers a place of worship with 200 seats.
It is a lively place where the faithful meet every week to celebrate
the office of the Shabbat holy day devoted to prayer, to deepen and
express their spiritual values.
Periods disorders experienced previously by the Community, it
remains today the indelible marks of remembrance and the duty of
Therefore, 50 years after the inauguration of the
the Jewish Community of
has decided to celebrate this anniversary as it should.
In September, a concert given by the liturgical choir "singing
sacred Strasbourg and open to all, and several speeches are planned
and will, where appropriate, a special sparkle to the event.
TRANSLATED WITH GOOGLE TRANSLATION FROM FRENCH TO ENGLISH.