The facade is oriented west-southwest (in general, the synagogues are oriented west-east, it is slightly offset from this axis). It is pierced with windows, including a rose window with a Star of David in the center. The Hebrew inscription above the portal is the biblical verse Genesis 28.17: "This place is none other than the house of God, and that heaven's door", the same as on the pediment the Synagogue de la Victoire, as well as the synagogue of Bar-le-Duc. Its summit is surmounted by the two Tables of the Law.
It is listed on the Inventory of Historic Monuments since April 13, 1989.
The synagogue is still in business. However, it is now Rite Sephardic (when it was originally Ashkenazi) and the present community, small, mainly originating from North Africa. It is possible to visit during Heritage Days.
Front of the synagogue is a monument erected to the memory of the 253 Jews Deported from Reims and the area opened Oct. 23, 1949. On this stele the names of 214 people (some formulations are imprecise, for example, "Melles CAVAILLON" does not specify exactly how much they were) overcome the biblical verse in Lamentations 5:16 Hebrew נפלה עטרת ראשנו, "Crown of our heads dropped. "
The synagogue has acquired in 1991 of a Mikvah.
There is no separate Jewish cemetery in Reims, but a square in the Jewish cemeteries of the North (1 bis rue du Champ de Mars), East (241 Avenue Jean-Jaurès) and Neuvillette (access: 17, rue de Bétheny or 42 Avenue Maurice Plongeron).
History of the Jewish presence in Reims
There is a return of the Jews in Reims in the late XVIIIth century. Some Jewish families are reported in Reims in 1820. But it is mostly from 1870 qu'arrivent many Jews of Alsace and Moselle, and community organizing. In 1875, the community of Reims appointed its first rabbi. It had a small chapel located at 7, rue des Capuchins, while it had nearly 650 members. The construction of the new Synagogue became a necessity.
During the 1960s, Jews from North Africa have settled in Reims. In 1979, the Community celebrated the centenary of his synagogue.