JEWISH AND KOSHER FRANCE הקהילה היהודית בצרפת: בתי כנסת, בתי חב"ד, אוכל כשר, מסעדות כשרות, מקוואות, מלונות כשרים, ועוד    
   
  FRANCE  
 

SYNAGOGUES IN PHALSBOURG, FRANCE:

Phalsbourg  Synagogue
16 Rue Alexandre-Weill
Phalsbourg, France
Today, worship is no longer practiced because the Phalsbourg myni‚ne (quorum of 10 men over 13 years) no longer exists.
Last updated on: November 7, 2010
Please update us!

PHALSBOURG SYNAGOGUE, FRANCE: Between 1680 and 1691, the minister of Louis XIV, Louvois, permitted two Jewish families to live in Phalsbourg. They numbered four in 1702, eight in 1747 and twelve in 1770. Again and again, they were threatened with expulsion. Two Jews acquired a right of license in 1766, ratified by the Council of State. The synagogue was established in 1772, rebuilt in 1857 and dedicated on September 10th, 1857. A sandstone marker about one meter in length, built in the Eastern wall of the synagogue of Phalsbourg, above the staircase that leads to the pulpit from the rabbi spoke, carries following inscription: "That this place is formidable! Receive with mercy and benevolence our requests" - The year 532, From 1807 to about 1920, Phalsbourg was the seat of Rabbinate that also served the neighboring communities of Sarrebourg, Mittelbronn, Lixheim, Schalbach, Bourscheid and Metting. Since the end of the 19th century, the Jewish population diminished: 159 souls in 1880, 89 in 1931, and 48 in 1970. During WWII, nine members of the community died in deportation and two were shot. Today, worship is no longer practiced because the Phalsbourg myni‚ne (quorum of 10 men over 13 years) no longer exists.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Between 1680 and 1691, the minister of Louis XIV, Louvois, permitted two Jewish families to live in Phalsbourg. They numbered four in 1702, eight in 1747 and twelve in 1770. Again and again, they were threatened with expulsion. Two Jews acquired a right of license in 1766, ratified by the Council of State. The synagogue was established in 1772, rebuilt in 1857 and dedicated on September 10th, 1857. A sandstone marker about one meter in length, built in the Eastern wall of the synagogue of Phalsbourg, above the staircase that leads to the pulpit from the rabbi spoke, carries following inscription: "That this place is formidable! Receive with mercy and benevolence our requests" - The year 532, From 1807 to about 1920, Phalsbourg was the seat of Rabbinate that also served the neighboring communities of Sarrebourg, Mittelbronn, Lixheim, Schalbach, Bourscheid and Metting. Since the end of the 19th century, the Jewish population diminished: 159 souls in 1880, 89 in 1931, and 48 in 1970. During WWII, nine members of the community died in deportation and two were shot. Today, worship is no longer practiced because the Phalsbourg myni‚ne (quorum of 10 men over 13 years) no longer exists.

---

JEWISH AND KOSHER FRANCE:

  1. CHABAD CENTERS

  2. GENERAL INFO

  3. JEWISH CEMETERIES 

  4. JEWISH LINKS

  5. KASHRUT AUTHORITIES

  6. KOSHER ESTABLISHMENTS

  7. KOSHER HOTELS

  8. MIKVAOT

  9. SYNAGOGUES 

  10. CORSICA