In 1846, the community bought a plot of the old hospital to build the new synagogue. Having received a grant from the municipality, the project is assigned to the municipal architect Jean-Baptiste Schacre. Begun in 1847, work was interrupted after a few months by the bankruptcy and the flight of the contractor. The costs caused by mishaps result in the abandonment of the construction of a cupola, replacement of the barrel vault of the nave by a coffered ceiling, and many changes of detail. Completed in in 1848-1849, the building was inaugurated 13 December 1849. Neoclassical structure rather, the new synagogue is notable for its decor rich in allusions to the Jewish religion (Tables of the Law on the pediment of the bedside and in the parapets, menorahs in relief).
At the beginning of XXth century, two side doors are drilled in the facade of the apse, and a grand staircase giving access to the galleries is built by the architect Joerg Heinrich.
During the Second World War, the building was damaged by the Nazis but rescued from destruction by its transformation in the Annex Theatre. Returned to worship after the Liberation, the synagogue is restored.
2 Rue des Rabbins
Listed as a Historic Monument.
Rabbi Hayoun: Tel: 03 89 66 91 56, firstname.lastname@example.org , elie.hayoun @ neuf.fr (private) / Tel:03 89 46 26 88(private)/ Mobile:06 01 86 13 85
Rabbi Amar: Tel: 03 89 66 91 59, email@example.com
Tel: 03 89 56 32 58 (private) / Mobile: 06 48 05 66 43
Mr. Herrmann: Mobile: 06 09 50 85 92
Mikveh: Joëlle Hayoun: Tel: 03 89 46 26 88 (private)
Simone Amar: Tel: 03 89 66 91 59 (private)
Jewish Cemetery: click here!
Last updated on: March 23, 2014
Please update us!