Since the eighth century, Insming has
been known under different names: Asmangia, Esminga,
Amange, and Ensmingen. It is the oldest village of the
canton of Albestroff. In the 12th century, it was
the headquarter of a priesthood dependent on Saint-Mihiel
Abbey, which was founded at the end of the 11th century.
Insming was a small dependence of Counts de Ferrettes
and de Montbeliard.
World War II, Insming saw an economic boom, mainly
thanks to Fernand Lambert, who was its mayor from 1945
to 1977. He inaugurated the first high school in the
Moselle department after the war.