Boulay - Synagogue
Rue des Juifs et rue du Pressoir
Last updated on: October 24, 2010
Please update us!
BOULAY, small town in
northeastern France; formerly belonging to the Duchy of Lorraine.
Jews settled in Boulay in the first half of the 17th
century. It was the home of
Raphael *Levy, the victim of a
*blood libel, executed in 1670.
In 1721 Duke Leopold confirmed the
right of 19 Jewish families to reside in Boulay and designated the
synagogue as the main one for the duchy. A cemetery is
mentioned from the end of the 17th century. The Jewish
population numbered 137 in 1808, 265 in 1831, and 120 in 1931.
During World War II, 11 Jews from Boulay were deported by the
Germans and one was shot. The synagogue was destroyed, but was
rebuilt in 1956. In 1968, the Jewish population was about 35.