Jamaica Estates was created at the turn of the century by the Jamaica Estates Company, which developed the hilly terminal moraine's 503 acres (2.04 km2), while preserving many of the trees that had occupied the site.Jamaica Estates now has significant Modern Orthodox Jewish American and South Asian American populations. The latter has been particularly affected by the wave of mortgage foreclosures that began in 2008. The only apartments and multi-family housing lie near the southern border within a few blocks from and along Hillside Avenue. The shopping corridors are along Hillside Avenue and Union Turnpike.
In 2007, following the damage of the roof of the Historic Gatehouse in Hurricane Isabel, the restoration and beautification of the Gatehouse and Malls was completed.
The Jamaica Estates Association, founded
in 1929, continues as an active, vital civic organization
representing the community. An Historical Plaque was unveiled
April 23, 2010, on the Midland Mall by The Aquinas Honor Society
of the Immaculate Conception School and by the sponsor of the