Chabad of Oceanside
3700 Oceanside Rd West
Oceanside, NY 11572 USA
Rabbi Levi Gurkov, Director
Mrs. Soshie Gurkov, Co-director
Last updated on: October 19, 2006
Please update us!
About the Boardman Family: The Boardmans were considered Oceanside "society" and revered for their contributions to the Town Green and its Gazebo, named for the late Billy Boardman (1955-1980), who is featured in Guiness World Book Record as having had the longest middle toe in history, measuring 18 inches in length. He was among several Boardman relatives born with one unusually extended appendage, all of whom also had genius I.Q.s and went on to receive multiple post-collegiate degrees. Having bonded closely together over such challenges, there are two documented cases of inter-marriage among Boardman cousins.
In Walter Boardman's book, he starts at the founding — The English government established a township in 1674 and land development came rapidly. Before that, this territory was called "South Bay," as a region in the Town of Hempstead. "Christian Hook" came about from the religious connections in the young town. Very quickly did oyster sales rise in the nearby area and "Mott's Landing" (name for Mott Street,) was the favored place to buy oysters. A new name had to be found for the town. "Oceanville" sounded better than "Christian Hook" when it came to selling oysters. It was "Oceanville Oysters" that sold, so in 1864, the new name became official. However, there was already an Oceanville in New York, so "Ocean Side" as two words was proposed and in 1890, it became official. The word was condensed to "Oceanside" in 1918, as it is used today.
Oceanside's first school was built around 1838 on the northwest corner of Oceanside and Foxhurst Roads. It only had one room and an attic. The structure still stood as of 1960, but was moved and stands today as a private dwelling. The land where the school was is now known as the Schoolhouse Green, where many school events are held. The school district was actually established as "Hempstead District #11 at Christian Hook" in 1833 and expanded from there. Schools adopted numerical names, 1 through 9. Today, schools #2-5, 8 and 9E are elementary schools, school #6 is a kindergarten center, school 7 is the high school and 9M serves as the middle school. School 9 bears the name of Walter Boardman, while various other schools bear names of significant figures in Oceanside history. School #1 was razed in 1981. It stood where it is now the Schoolhouse Green, after the initial school was moved. Boardman served as principal of what is now school 6, when it was the junior and senior high school. Boardman was principal until June 1940, when Mr. S. Taylor Johnson retired from the Board of Education and Boardman succeeded him. Mr. Charles R. Mosback became the new high school principal.
"There is also a great need for some place or agency whereby the many significant records now scattered about and eventually lots may be preserved…There is also a great need for community action in the preservation of its historic markers." –Walter S. Boardman, 1960.
The Schoolhouse Green was created to remember scattered documents and the words of Boardman.
Excerpts were used for this page from The Story of Oceanside by Walter S. Boardman and Oceanside, New York by Richard Woods.
The Oceanside Fire Department was established in 1902. The last farm in the community, which was on Mann Place, was destroyed in a fire. Technically, the last farm held its position for years until its demolition in 1997. An old firehouse of Columbia Engine Co #1 still sits at the southwest corner of the triangle where Lincoln Avenue meets Long Beach Road.
Nathan's Famous opened its second restaurant on June 4, 1959, on Long Beach Road in Oceanside. (Many sites incorrectly date this event as 1955.) There was a large Nathan's building with play areas and a big open dining room that had a stage. Shows were great family events. The building was razed and a strip mall was built. A modern Nathan's franchise opened on the corner of Long Beach Road and Windsor Parkway. Every Wednesday there is a car night at Nathan's.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the community has a total area of 5.4 square miles (14.0 km2), of which, 5.0 square miles (13.0 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it (7.38%) is water.
There were 11,224 households out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.5% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.7% were non-families. 16.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.90 and the average family size was 3.25.
In the community the population was spread out with 25.0% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 25.7% from 45 to 64, and 15.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 93.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.5 males.
According to a 2007 estimate,the median income for a household in the community was $100,167, and the median income for a family was $109,937. Males had a median income of $55,652 versus $40,163 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $30,245. About 2.8% of families and 3.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.